What is a Florida Homestead Exemption?
Great News for Wellington Florida homebuyers is the fact that Florida has one of the most generous homestead exemptions found in any state! With the Florida Homestead Exemption, not only will you be eligible to receive up to $50,000 deduction on the assessed value of your QUALIFIED Wellington residential property and save on property taxes but the laws will also help prevent folks from losing their homes do to certain events or change in economic stature.
The first $25,000 applies to all property taxes, including school district taxes. The additional exemption up to $25,000 applies to the assessed value between $50,000 and $75,000 and only to non-school taxes.
There are more exemptions that may be available if you qualify. Seniors, disabled veterans and other disabled people are encouraged to check or file for those additional exemptions. Click here for more information.
Homestead Exemption is granted to PERMANENT Florida residents only. The home must be your primary residence in order to qualify. How do I prove my PERMANENT Residence? The address listed on your voters registration card, your driver’s license, where you register and title your cars as well as where you file your income tax will prove this.
After the first year that your home receives a Homestead Exemption and the Property Appraiser assesses your home at just value there is a limitation clause called “Save Our Homes” or SOH. This means that your homes assessed value for each following year cannot increase more than 3 percent or the percent change in the Consumer Price Index (CPI).
In order to be eligible to receive your Homestead Exemption you will need to file after your sale has finalized up until March 1st of the following year. For example the deadline for the 2018 Homestead Exemption was MARCH 1st, 2018
How to Apply for your Florida Homestead Exemption
When qualifying for the Homestead Exemption, you will need the following documents for all property owners applying:
- Florida Driver’s License or Florida ID if you do not drive
- Florida car registration
- Florida Voter’s ID (if you vote)
- Immigration documents if not a U.S. citizen.
There are 3 ways to apply for Florida Homestead. Online, In-Person or Mail In.
- Click Here to Apply On Line for Your Palm Beach County Florida Homestead Exemption.
- If you prefer to apply In Person here are the 5 locations that you can go to or just call 561.355.3230 for more information.
- Lastly if your preference is to mail it in, please click here to download the form. Once you complete the application you can mail it to the Palm Beach County Property Appraiser’s Office, Exemption Services, 1st Floor, 301 N. Olive Ave., West Palm Beach, FL 33401